Otherwise called bottle bricks, eco-bricks are something I am extremely excited to show you. I had never heard of this before coming to South America, but creating them is a global trend! It is no secret that the world and its inhabitants are having difficulty with the trash problem. The problem being there is just too much of it and nowhere for it to go. There is a solution! I am going to show you how to make eco-bricks and how these bricks can help sustain our future.
How to Create Bottle Bricks
- Enjoy a beverage from a plastic bottle, and save that bottle.
- Separate your trash. (This is much easier if you just set up a recycling station in your home, because no one really wants to sort through trash.) Read below for what can and cannot be used for bottle bricks!
- Stuff the can items into the plastic bottle. (It is best to use a stick or dowel to pack the items in densely.)
- Fill in the extra space with sand, dry clay, or any other earthy material.
- Screw on the lid.
- Presto! You have created a bottle brick. Now you can create something from them or donate them! You rule, you friend of the environment, you! (Oh, and go wash your hands! hehe)
What Can and Cannot Be Used:
You can use any non-biodegradable trash in your eco brick (plastic, etc.). You cannot include anything that is biodegradable (paper, food waste, etc.). Have questions? Feel free to ask in the comments, or check out this site.
This is a great activity to do with kids as well. It teaches them about the importance of creating a sustainable lifestyle, while being fun. There are so many things that can be created from these eco-bricks from a simple garden benches and walls to an entire house. I love the idea of adding mosaic tiles to fit your own design aesthetic and make it unique! Here are a few ideas I loved from around the interwebs.
Harness your creativity, or feel free to donate your eco-bricks to local schools that are creating their own bottle brick benches! What would you make with eco-bricks? Share your ideas and photos in the comments!